Pre-workout is a necessity for many avid gym goers. Some use it for the energy boost it provides, some use it for the pump, and some use it to get themselves in the right mindset to lift some heavy weights.
The most common ingredients in pre-workout are caffeine, beta-alanine and citrulline malate. Caffeine is used mainly for an energy and focus boost while beta-alanine and citrulline malate help the body with muscle recovery. If you want to learn more about these ingredients, check out my previous post.
Most pre-workouts on the market will contain the three ingredients listed above, along with some less common ingredients like creatine, taurine, and various BCAA’s. Depending on your goals and diet, you will want a pre-workout that provides the right mixture of ingredients.
Genius brand pre-workout is a unique supplement. Not only does it contain, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, and various BCAA’s, it also has various other ingredients that most pre-workouts don’t offer like AstraGin, ALPHA GPC, and ElevATP. It has no caffeine and contains nootropics that are proven to boost brain capability. So whether you’re going to the gym or have to stay up late for a project due the next day, this pre-workout could come in handy.
- No caffeine or creatine
- No artificial flavors or ingredients
- Supports brain health
- 20 servings per container
- Can be found on Amazon for $37.99
In this section, I want to give you a breakdown of the uncommon but important ingredients in this pre-workout, besides beta-alanine and citrulline malate (both of which I discussed in my previous post).
AlphaSize/Alpha GPC: This little known ingredient is actually one of the main reasons why I wanted to try this pre-workout. Similar to caffeine, AlphaSize helps to boost brain capability by improving focus, memory and learning ability. You might be thinking, why would I care about brain capability when I’m at the gym? Well, a boost in brain power, especially focus, can drastically effect a workout and help you get in and out of the gym without taking too much time browsing social media or staring at yourself in the mirror. According to the National Center of Biotechnology Information, AlphaSize also helps improve athletic performance by increasing muscle endurance and allowing the body to release more growth hormone during exercise.
ElevATP: Another not so popular ingredient, ElevATP, is a combination of fossilized plants that helps to increase the bodies’ ATP production. If you missed out on biology class and don’t know what ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is, ATP is the energy source for every cell in the body. When you eat food, your body breaks it down into energy and stores this energy in ATP molecules. Then the ATP molecules are transferred throughout the body where they are needed. Since ATP gives the body energy and ElevATP helps boost ATP production, it’s obvious to see that this ingredient can be very helpful in the gym and is scientifically proven to boost energy, endurance and strength.
AstraGin: If the above ingredients are the hard workers and managers, AstraGin is the assistant. AstraGin has been around since ancient times and even used as medicine in China and various Asian countries. It helps to boost the bodies’ ability to absorb and digest nutrients. Not a lot of pre-workouts or supplements in general contain this ingredient but it is actually very beneficial. It’s impossible for your body to absorb 100% of the nutrients you consume, it’s not perfect. That is why AstraGin is important for any health supplement, not just pre-workout, because it helps increase the positive effects.
Suggested Article: Best Pre-Workout Powder – For BIG Gains
- Depending on your caffeine tolerance, no caffeine can be a positive or negative quality. Some people, like myself, get anxious and jittery when they consume too much caffeine. This anxious feeling is very unpleasant while trying to workout. Since this product has no caffeine, it can be very beneficial in helping people receive all the benefits of caffeine (thanks to AlphaSize) without the jitters.
- This pre-workout is unique. There are not many supplements on the market that offer the same all-natural, nootropic, and energy boosting ingredient profile.
- It’s all natural. If you are into organic products or don’t like consuming artificial ingredients, this pre-workout could be perfect for you.
- Boosts brain power. It’s nootropic ingredients (AlphaSize, huperzia serrata and rhodiola rosea) allow for improved focus, memory and learning capability. This pre-workout could even be beneficial for people who don’t go to the gym but need something that will keep them awake and focused.
- Genius Brand pre-workout is expensive. For the price of $37.99, you only get 20 servings. This might not be too bad for someone who only goes to the gym 3-4 days a week. But if you are going 5 or more days a week, you might want to find a more cost effective pre-workout.
- Doesn’t provide a sudden, large boost of energy. Although this pre-workout has a lot of helpful ingredients that can increase energy, it doesn’t give you an all at once energy rush like pre-workouts that are loaded with caffeine do. It is more of a mellow energy rush that doesn’t come all at once but stays consistent over a couple of hours. This might not be a con for some people, but it might be for people out there that love to get “pumped up” before the gym.
- Only 2 flavors. Although it has no artificial flavors or sweeteners, this pre-workout actually tastes pretty good. The only downside is that it only comes in two flavors, grape limeade or sour apple.
In conclusion, most pre-workouts on the market will provide what you expect from them: increased energy, faster muscle recovery and improved blood flow. Depending on your preferences, however, you’re going to want to look for the pre-workout that brings the most value to you.
For example, if you already take a creatine supplement, you’re not going to want to use a pre-workout that has creatine. Or, if you have a low tolerance for caffeine, you’re not going to want a pre-workout with more than 100mg of caffeine. It’s really common sense but unfortunately, a lot of people don’t pay attention to what’s in the supplements they take.
If you are considering the Genius Brand pre-workout, I recommend that it’s worth a try. Although it is pricey and lacks some properties that a lot of the main stream pre-workouts possess, it is unique and offers a lot of healthy, natural and beneficial ingredients for both working out and being productive.
So, what are you waiting for, click this link and try Genius Brand pre-workout today!
If you found this supplement review helpful, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment and share with your friends!